Pages

Sunday 26 September 2010

On Running Again - A Prelude

Well, I am not too inclined to be the fitness-conscious type. Generally a lazy person, I despise any sort of activity that requires me to burn more calories than devouring the next cheesy meaty slice of a Domino's pizza. Which is exactly the reason I have decided to run.

Sure, I thought, that would be an easy ordeal. All you need to do is walk around, in fast motion. Do it for half an hour and be done with it. And that should make up for the guilt I have when I realize that I am 27 years old and as unfit as hell. So I took up running (again). Last time I started running was over an year ago, I don't remember why I started, but it culminated in me and some buddies (JD, Suttan) going on to participate in the Sun Feast 10K in Bangalore - which we managed to complete (in decent time) - yay guys! if you get to read this :-)


That, however, was a long time ago. And a yearful of pizzas later, I am afraid I am back to square one (round one by appearance). Hence this time-to-run-again moment. This time, though, I decided to be more serious about it. I decided to set clear and definite goals I needed to achieve. I wanted to track my runs and see what I was doing right (and wrong). And I wanted to do it differently. So with a new found determinism and enthusiasm that I normally reserve to code something, I charted out the goals:

Goal #1: Be able to run 5K in 25 minutes (which actually is ambitious considering my fitness level)
Goal #2: Participate in a charity event next summer
Goal #3: Raise at least 100 pounds for the run

I started running around three weeks ago, and so far, it has been good - I am sticking to the Couch to 5K training routine, and the tracking I get is awesome.

Motivation, on the other hand, is hard to come by, and every morning before a run day, making myself get out of bed is the hardest thing to do. But I have decided to stick to it. And I need to get fit. (And be able to eat more pizza's with no guilt along the way!). Well, let's see how Take 2 goes.

PS: BTW, I hope I keep blogging as well in the current pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment